This is the website of author Sally Ann Melia.
I am currently working towards the publication of the new novel Guy Erma and the Spider Masters of Sas Darona, or Spider Masters for short. Please read my letters from: The Road to Publication
August 23rd: Good News! Spider Riders was shortlisted for the Literature Works competition One Giant Write.
KIDNAP the first book of Guy Erma and the Son of Empire is still only 99p on Amazon Kindle UK and FREE on Amazon Kindle US – so start here to get a taste of my work: KIDNAP
My favourite video.
Reviews for Guy Erma and the Son of Empire
“Thinking back to stories that inspired me as a child, it was always the ones with big images and grandiose plots. The battle borgs and blade fighting of Freyne certainly have this, along with a story of political intrigue at the heart of the kingdom’s nobility.”
1 year anniversary covers
July 2016: Kidnap, Hunter and Exile are 1 years old this summer. Lets’s have some new covers.
I wanted to create a simple cover, to put the emphasis firmly back on the plague which starts in the heart of the Dome, and it’s interesting to speculate what exactly was the real plague in this trilogy.
- Is it the malign influence of Chart Segat, and how he corrupts both the moral fibre of the Dome Elite, and the software of the resuscitated heroes the Battle Borgs?
- Or was it the small black brick, an eco-system for a deadly insects placed by a shapeshifting enemy deep in the vents of the Dome?
Either way evil emanates from the Dome, and it is no wonder that Prince Teodor looks on it in fear. No wonder he has bad dreams, and pleads with his mother: I don’t want to go, I don’t want to go.
Anyway, this cover was my idea, so I wanted it to be my work as well.
- I first drew the biting insect and labelled it. It’s a pen and ink drawing which I have here, and then I scanned it into the computer and set it against a plain background.
- I wanted to hint at the violence within, but I did not want to scare readers, so I added in shadow droplets of blood, or are they bullet holes?
- I wanted to underline the military themes by using a rustic font, like the letters stencilled onto the side of a military truck
- I used traffic light colours but rejected the standard sequence, instead opting for orange first being the warning of danger, red for the main adventure is danger itself, and green rebirth or renewal. (Interestingly, I think that is the traffic light sequence in Italy.)
So same book new covers – Happy 1st birthday!
Psst. Secret – these new covers will work with the new book Spider Riders, which I going to be published in two books… I will probably start to reveal early cover designs in the next month or so.
Meet Sally Ann Melia.
In this interview author Sally Ann Melia talks about the process of writing, and the time it took to write Guy Erma and the Son of Empire.
Trilogy : Guy Erma and the Son of Empire
“I was fascinated by the story and thoroughly enjoyed reading the book.”Cassandra, Amazon Review
“Hunter, contains some of my favorite parts of the whole story…”Adam Oster, Amazon Review
“Sally Ann Melia is an author who knows how to write. Her three-volume work “Guy Erma and the Son of Empire proves it.” Mark J Stern
More free stuff: Aliens in Paris